Acceso a NANO G48 Giganews Usenet
Giganews is proud to offer free Usenet access to all NANOG48 attendees from the meeting floor. Access to all Usenet newsgroups will be provided through Giganews' new IPv6 service being demonstrated for the first time at NANOG48, available at the hostname v6.giganews.com.
NOTE: IPv6 Giganews service is being specially demonstrated for NANOG48 attendees only. If you have an existing Giganews account, you will need to disable authentication to use the IPv6 service from the NANOG48 meeting rooms.
Below, you will find setup instructions for several freely available Usenet clients available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Start Thunderbird.
- From the menu bar, choose File, New, Other Account, Newsgroup Account. Then press Next.
- In the next window, type in your display name and e-mail address. The values will be used by all posts you make to Usenet. An e-mail address is required, but does not need to be valid. Once entered, click the Next button.
- In the next window, enter v6.giganews.com for the Newsgroup Server name. Click the Next button.
- Enter an account name to identify the connection and click Next.
- Verify the informtion in the final window and click the Finish button.
- Right-click on the server name (option-click on MacOS) to bring up the Options menu. Here, you may switch the connection to Use secure connection to take advantage of our SSL service.
- To load a list of newsgroups, select the Manage newsgroup subscriptions link. From there you can subscribe to newsgroups and begin reading.
Microsoft Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express.
- From the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Click the Add button, and click News.
- Enter your name and e-mail address. The values will be used by all posts you make to Usenet. An e-mail address is required, but does not need to be valid.
- For the name of the news server, enter v6.giganews.com.
- Do NOT check the box next to 'My news server requires me to log on'.
- Click Finish.
- Click the Close button.
Outlook Express will ask if you wish to download the list of available newsgroups. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and answer 'yes'. When the download is finished, you can subscribe to any group by double-clicking its icon.
Microsoft Windows Mail
- Start Windows Mail.
- On the main toolbar, click the Tools option.
- From the drop-down menu, click Accounts.
- In the Internet Accounts window, click Add.
- The Select Account Type window will open. Choose the Newsgroup Account option and click Next.
- In the next window, you need to type in your display name. This name will be used by all posts you make to Usenet. Type in your display name and click Next.
- The next window to appear is the Internet News E-mail Address window. Type the e-mail address you are going to use for Usenet. An e-mail address is required, but it does not need to be a working e-mail address. Click Next.
- Enter the Internet News Server Name as v6.giganews.com and click Next.
- The next window will inform you that you have successfully entered all of the required information. Click the Finish button.
- If you would like to use an SSL connection to read newsgroups:
- Select the Properties button on the right-hand side of the server window
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Enable SSL and close the window.
- Select Show available newsgroups and the list of newsgroups should begin to download.
- From the resulting list, select newsgroups you are interested in and then click on the Subscribe button.
Pan (for Linux)
- In the Add a Server window, type v6.giganews.com.
- For the Port, enter either 119 (non-SSL) or 563 (SSL).
- The rest of the settings in this window are determined by user preference. Pan currently allows a maximum of four (4) connections.
- Click OK.
Pan should fetch the group list after completion. This will verify successful connection to Giganews.